VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:48:46 EDT
My step father-in-law was one of those guys who loved to tell stories. And,
he never failed to tell them when something triggered his memory.

On a number of ocassions, I heard the story about his father purchasing their
very first car when he was a small boy.  He was born in 1907, so I am
guessing that he would have been about 5 years of age when the car was
acquired (1912).

The family decided to visit his Mom's sister who lived about 250 miles away.
There were very few roads and NO road signs.  They started by driving in the
right direction. When they would come to a town, they stopped and asked how
to get to the next town and so forth for the entire trip.

At nightfall, they would locate a farm then stop and ask the farmer if they
could camp overnight in his field.

This was a mere 90 years or so ago.  Not very much in the span of human
"progress."

Larry in Texas