VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:32:26 -0500
Thanks to Ms. Susan who caught my lapse of memory, please consider these number as estimates of VA population in the period 1665-1670:

The number I selected - 300,000 - was from the years of the French and Indian War.  As to that earlier period, Bruce, in his "Economic History of VA in the 17th Century", suggests 40,000 in VA and MD in 1664.  Berkeley in 1666 set the number in VA also as 40,000.  Bruce suggests the additional number of slaves at that period - c1660 - was in excess of 2000.

Though I found no number for servants after the period 1624-1625, from general reading I would suggest that number to have been 1500 or more by 1670.

If anyone has more precise numbers, there are several of us who would enjoy knowing of those.

Finally, I have been asked if I have an affiliation of any sort with the VA Library or the State of Virginia.  The answer is "no".  I am retired and have no affiliations with other than a few local and State genealogical societies and those groups across the South who invite me to do seminars and teach classes.

Thanks again, Susan

Genealogy without documentation is nothing.
                     Paul Drake JD
                Genealogist & Author
            <www.DrakesBooks.com>