VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Wilene Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2010 01:00:45 EDT
This thread has been heartwarming to read.  Thanks to everyone for venting
your frustrations, all of which I wholeheartedly share.

I refer to the folks out there who create all those bad files as "copyists"
and "name collectors" who include few, if any, dates or places.  After I
bought the Family Tree Maker solftware in the late 1990s it took me 3 solid
years to fully transcribe all the records, etc., etc., that I had accumulated
over the previous 25 years into a "time line" format for each person, then
search Ancestry and other online sources for actual records such as censuses.
 Time consuming, yes, but a vital and necessary part of solid research.  My
files have been uploaded to RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project since July
2000.  While I've met distant cousins through these files that I could not
possibly have connected with in any other way, I've also found other folks who
have blatantly copied my transcriptions with no reference at all to me or my
file, have never contacted me, and worse yet, have omitted the source
references when they copied my transcriptions.  However, the kudos I have received
from a few researchers who fully appreciate the time expended has, for the
most part, outweighed the frustrations caused by the inexperienced and
uncaring.  --Wilene