VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Steve Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 08:12:24 -0400
Elizabeth,

Very good advice.  Where may we find your work on the internet?  I am quite
curious to see what perfection looks like.

Seriously, I believe that some of you are discussing two different
situations.  IIMO most who "publish" their histories on the internet are
doing so with the idea of just getting their family story out there, not
writing history.  Then there are those of us who publish for clients, their
family history.  Two different environments and situations.  My data goes
out there on the internet sites for others to see and use for hints and
starting places, for generating thought and hopefully to contact "family"
who may have more tidbits and especially, pictures.  I always state do your
own work.

I do not consider genealogies "published" at places like Ancestry or LDS to
be anything other than a well from which we dip into to gather bits of
thought provoking information to be assimilated into our own research at
some point in time.  Whether we chose to do further research or just pour it
into our tree is a personal choice.  Believe me, I have seen plenty of
"professional genealogist" work that isn't worth the paper it is printed on
and is still accepted by various societies.  My own Mayflower Fuller line is
a prime example of genealogies done a long time ago and accepted as fact
that are pure fiction.  I also believe there are a minority of those who are
looking for that famous or infamous person to be related to.  I don't know
how many times I have heard, "I think we are related to so and so and I want
to prove it.  These people are biased already and will become related to
whomever it takes to get there.

So if we agree to disagree and accept the fact that some care, some don't,
we can only try to lead and hope they follow.

Steve Stevens