VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2009

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:40:18 -0400
Janice,

After looking at your message about Edward Smith more closely, something
else came to mind.  I note that you show two of the children of Edward
Smith, Jr. and Mary Bell as Ambrose Smith and John R. Smith.  There was an
Ambrose Smith in Spotsylvania Co., VA (born circa-1740) who was married to
an Isabell/Isabella (and some SUSPECT that her maiden name was "Coleman").
That Ambrose Smith had a son named John R. (supposedly stood for "Rezin" or
"Reason") Smith (born circa-1765), and John R. Smith married Lucy Chewning
(and they left VA for KY, as I recall, around 1811 or so).  I have exchanged
several e-mails with various descendants of this Ambrose Smith.  None of
them have been able to determine the parents of this Ambrose Smith.....but I
wonder if there is a connection to your Smith family?  Comments?

Bill Davidson