VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2005

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:20:51 -0600
HATCHER website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
HATCHER DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
"Genealogy without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Hi All,

I am hoping for some opinions/translations on what this 1800 Buckingham PP
List is telling me (see link below). I am looking in particular at Barnett
and Arthur Hatcher. Both have 1 horse. Barnett has 1 tithable but Arthur
looks like he has been marked 0 tithables. Both are charged the same $12.
But there is something written after Arthur's name that I can't decipher. Is
this an abbreviation for "estate"? If so, why does George further down the
list have "estate" spelled out?

Is Arthur dead? Is he elderly and thus excused from paying a tithe? Is he
possibly under 16 but owns a horse? Why were both charged the same amount?

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~vataxlists/Buckingham/1800PersonalA/09.jpg

Thanks a bunch!
Nel Hatcher