VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
Daryl Lytton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:36:30 -0800
Paul Drake wrote:
> Daryl; what is it that we are supposed to see at this site, please?

A very cleverly worded statement of facts with several loopholes :) I'm
still hearing from my RootsWeb and Ancestry insiders and it appears that
OWT doesn't actually "take" our data, they link to 'parts' of it via an
indexing process. They don't include our notes, because the submitters are
the authors of the note and therefore the (c) holders. But the "facts" such
as names and dates aren't (c)able, and as another lister pointed out, by
posting stuff to RootsWeb and Ancestry we assign MyFamily the rights to do
what every they want to do with what we post for all eternity...but at that
URL also tells us that we own our data.. We can have our stuff deleted from
OWT, but it appears the only way to do that is by deleting it from RootsWeb
and Ancestory so the OWT search engine doesn't index it...but I may not
have gotten that part straight yet, perhaps it can be deleted from OWT but
left on RootsWeb and Ancestory.

It doesn't appear that there is any difference between paying for OWT, and
searching both RootsWeb and Ancestry for free, but I'm sure not going to
pay for OWT to find out! :) Years ago, MyFamily discovered that genealogy
is Big Business, when the Wall Street Journal reported that RootsWeb was
the 5th "stickiest" site on the Web. I feel that Ancestry takes advantage
of the average researchers lack of knowledge as to how to find your
ancestors on the web, and our sometimes frustration at the time required to
do so...and then they got a psychological quality of human nature on their
side also, that the more we pay for something the better it must be.

I wonder about the "monoploy" aspect MyFamily has gotten themselves into?

Daryl