VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:04:28 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/2002 4:29:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hi,
> I agree with Lee Anne. At Rootsweb our mailing lists have that option for us
> the list administrators. If it is possible with this list and the VA-Hist
> list
> as well that would a great.

Beth and Everybody,

That option is available for YOU to choose for these lists also.  But you
choose not the list administrator.

I get ALL my Va-Roots and Va-Hist emails with the list name in the subject
line because I asked for that option when I subscribed to the list.  We are
offerred several options upon subscription.  You can go in and change your
settings very easily.  You will want to go to the link at the main website
for the list that allows you to change your settings.  You do need a password
for this, but I just got one in about three minutes total.

When you get to the subscription options you will find these choices and the
one you want is not "normal" but the second one with list name in subject:

Mail header style:
        Normal LISTSERV-style header    [FULLHDR]
**** LISTSERV-style, with list name in subject  [SUBJECTHDR]
        LISTSERV-style, short   [SHORTHDR]
        "Dual" (second header in mail body) [DUALHDR]
        sendmail-style  [IETFHDR]

To do this you go to:

Click on the third link down:
<A HREF="http://listlva.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=va-roots&A=1">Join or leave the list (or change settings)</A>

And follow directions....Though you should know I just got a password to see
what I had checked.  I think the first time around I I too wanted the list
name in the subject and unsubscribed and then resubscribed with new settings
because the thought of having ANOTHER password was a little irritating,
though I understand the reasons.  Now I use the same one everywhere (one
originally given to me by rootsweb for my PMLs).

I hope this helps!  I think LVA should consider making the default the option
with the list name in the subject, since if you are on these lists then you
are probably on many others.  The options list is a little daunting if you
are used to Rootsweb lists where there are no options.

Best Regards,
Janet Hunter