VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2004

Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:43:06 EST
Jim Wood in his book, "Raleigh County West Virginia," writes the  following:
About 20 October 1861, Colonel Erastus B. Taylor of the 7th Ohio, Third
Brigade, sent (William S.) Dunbar and 40 men to the Clear Fork of Coal River to
guard the polls at an election precinct near where his family lived.
Dunbar commented on the situation:
"So I went on and we had the election and just as we closed the polls a man
came running across a field and told me that there were 500 Rebel cavalry
following after us ... The man who gave me the news was Jubal Stover of Cabin
Creek, Kanawha (County). He had run 7 or 8 miles across a long mountain and was
nearly exhausted."
Does anyone know what group of Confederate cavalry was in pursuit that day?
Sincerely,

Mike  Peters