VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2011

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:27:22 -0400
Janice,

As shown here:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/hill/messages/16602.html

a Humphrey Bell had a daughter named Edith Bell who married a Thomas Hill
("Senior"), and Humphrey Bell owned land in VA.  The above record shows that
after Mrs. Edith (Bell) Hill died, Humphrey Bell "rescued" the son of Thomas
and Edith (Bell) Hill named Humphrey Hill from an orphanage in England, and
Humphrey Bell then sent young Humphrey Hill to VA to look after the Bell
properties there.  Humphrey Hill lived in King and Queen Co., VA (as well as
King William Co., VA at one time), and his brother Thomas Hill ("Junior")
lived in Spotsylvania Co., VA.  I note in a post that you left on the Bell
message board on GenForum many years ago mentioned both Roger Bell and
Humphrey Bell, as I recall.  Do you know if Roger Bell and Humphrey Bell
were closely related?  There was also a John Hill and a Thomas Hill in the
Amelia/Prince Edward Co., VA area in the 1700s, and based on a little
research so far, I would not be surprised if they were also descendants of
Thomas Hill and Edith Bell.

My maternal gg-grandmother was named Susan Hill Garrett (she married Smith
W. Brown in Middlesex Co., VA in the 1840s), and she was a daughter of
Richard Garrett and Nancy Taff.  It seems almost certain that this Richard
Garrett was the Richard G. Garrett who had appeared on the 1810 King and
Queen Co., VA census.  I do not know at this time why Susan Hill Garrett had
her middle name, but I would not be too surprised if I am a descendant of
Thomas Hill and Edith Bell (though certainly no proof).  I found a surviving
record in King and Queen Co., VA that clearly "connects" the Hill family
there with an earlier member of my Brown family in King and Queen who was
named Henry Brown (Henry had moved to King and Queen from Essex Co., VA by
at least 1769).

Bill Davidson