VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:42:34 -0400
I am sending this to the List instead of carrying it on  personally with
the sender because I feel it is of concern to all who subscribe to
Ancestry(World Connect) because I believe it is a concern to all.

When Roots and Ancestry began this '"project" we found that Ancestry had
taken OUR  gedcom from their  family history site on their webpage(which
I think, at that time, was PERSONAL and not subject to everyone's
viewing) and put it on WORLD CONNECT without editing it.

We were  horrified as they had my grandchildrens' names, ages, and
location published!!   My daughter tried to no avail, to get them to
take it off.
Finally, I telephoned one of the "owners" of Ancestry and who knew the
workings of the World Connect project.

It took me 45 minutes of arguing my case.  Finally, he agreed to delete
dates, etc. and show only living. BUT, said this could not be done until
the end of the month because that is when they  programmed that site.  I
asked him did he know how to do this and he said yes and I insisted he
do it while I was on the phone  (he had the gedcom in front of  him all
this time).  I believe I had asked  him to  show the first several
generations only which was a simple operation to do.

This all happened within the first couple weeks after Roots was "bought"
out by Ancestry and I am not sure of what "threat" finally convinced him
to take action IMMEDIATELY.
But one thing I am sure of is he removed this info from World Connect
while I was on the phone with him because I also had the webpage in
front of me and it did change!

Ella in Michigan
Picking up twigs along the way