VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2006

From:
Rose Compton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rose Compton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:51:29 -0400
I am totally new to this list, so please bare with me while I learn my
way around. I spent most of my day searching your archives but to no avail.
I am researching my COMPTON roots in Henry County, Va., but I have hit a
brickwall.
  I am the daughter of Ernest Compton, b: 1917 (Henry Co.) s/o Cole Smith
Compton, b:1893 (Henry Co.) s/o M.Logan Compton b:1851 (Henry Co.) s/o
James Marshall Compton Sr. b: 1819 (Henry Co.)   Unfortunatly, my trail
ends with James Sr.
  What I need is ... The names of James Parents. Can you suggest where
online I might find this info? I now live in Iowa and do not have access to
the Henry Co. courthouse records.
  What I do know at this point is James Sr. was a Confederate Civil War
Veteran. He married Martha Brown Eggleton 05 Jan 1842, in Henry Co. Va.
He lived in the Leatherwood district and he was the father of 10 children.
I have a copy of his marriage lisence, I have the copy of data from his
Civil War regiment records (via ancestry.com), but nothing so far lists
either of his parents. He died at some point after 1910, but I can find no
obit or death info. He is listed in the US Census from 1850 to 1910. I've
not been able to find ONLINE any property, wills or family bibles which
contain the info that I need.
  Any help that you can give me on this would be a great help. I just don't
know where to turn next.

Thank you
Rose Compton