VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2006

From:
Shelley Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:12:28 EDT
As you know West Virginia received its statehood in 1863 and prior to that it
was Virginia. I am trying to find out about the jails or penitentiaries that
would of served the Jefferson County Virginia area around 1838.   Any
suggestions on how to find someone that would of been found guilty in 1838, and see if
the individual served anytime actual time etc, or if there is a record etc.
So far I am not able to find anything in Jefferson County, the record was in
Richmond, in an Order Book-that said he was found guilty and sent to public jail
and penitentiary (info given to me by Pat Duncan). Thanks for any input,
Shelley

Know your Roots, they are Long and Strong..