VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
"D. Briggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D. Briggs
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:02:57 -0400
I agree with Sharon's assessment.

I will say this, I do think that in the future the genealogy free sites are
going to boom again.  The reason I say that is that there is a lot of work
being done behind the scenes,  Many of you out there are probably involved
in historical societies and Cemetery Research Projects, County marriage
records projects, Parish records projects, etc .  I have seen Revolutionary
War pension projects, Ships lists projects, etc on many county sites. These
projects are gradually making their way on to the Internet. The Library of
VA is putting some of their archive material online and you can access it
from home at any time of the day.  I think, in time, having this source
material readily available will improve the quality of the gedcoms we will
see posted in the future.  While there is always going to be that person out
there that swears they are related to some famous person and tries to
rewrite their family history to make it so, I think you will see much more
honest effort going into the family trees we will see in the future.

Sign me.....the many times great-granddaughter of the "not-so-famous" tanner
of Old Rappahanock County, VA

PS:  And Shirley...my Briggs connection is through marriage and is solidly
Pennslyvania back to the 1840's, NY before that and to be honest I haven't
rolled up my sleeves and dug deeper on that line.