VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:52:26 -0500
Dave,

Using your chart you computed the relationship starting with Pete.  Now do
it again starting with L.  Different result, right?  Full cousins (first,
second, third, etc) share the same nomenclature.  But once you get removes
in the picture everything changes and one name does not fit all.  I just
sent a message to the list that explains how it works as taught in
Anthropology 101.  Read that one first and then here is another example:

"John is my 2nd cousin because my grandfather and his grandfather were
siblings.  From John's point of view I am his 2nd cousin for the same
reason, our grandparents were siblings;" this a correct statement.

"My 2nd cousin John's daughter, Mary, is my 2nd cousin, once removed
(correct statement).  However, from Mary's point of view I am NOT her 2nd
cousin, once removed, I am her 3rd cousin because if SHE counts up HER line
I am the child of her GREAT-Grandfather's sibling.  The only generic term
that applies to both of us is "cousins;" beyond that it is different
depending on who is doing the counting.

I hope this helps clarify it further.  I have been on both sides of an
Anthro 101 class -- learning and teaching -- and the cousinship concept is
one that is always hard to grasp.  Once it clicks, however, it's like riding
a bike -- you'll  never forget it.

Kathy