VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:48:15 EDT
My apologies.  Cutting and pasting has never been my forte.  I cut the
critical 1731 deed of gift from Anne Bentley to her three sons:

****1731 (Richmond) - September 1  Deed of Gift from (widow) ANNA BENTLEY to
SONS JOHN, SAMUELL, and WILLIAM "before Matrymony".  Richmond County Account
Book 1, p. 42 (Sparacio).
"KNOW ALL MEN by these presents that I Ann Bentley of the County of Richmond
and Parish of Farnham for divers good causes but especially for my naturall
affecion to my Children do make this my Deed of Gift as followeth before
Matrymony.  First, I give to my Son JOHN BENTLEY a feather bed and furniture &
 a cow and calfe & a heifer of two years old and the maire Colt call'd Flaver
and a yes and lamb and piggs and a Large Chest marked IB [marks I with slash
through middle].  2d I give to my Son SAMLL. BENTLEY a feather bed and
furniture and one Cow and Calfe a heifer of two years old and a Yew & amb and
a Sow and piggs and the first Colt that my maire Coney brings. 3d I give to
my son WILLM. BENTLEY a bed of flox and feathers and the furniture and a Cow &
 Calfe and a Heifer of twoyearsold a yoe and Lamb and a Sow and Piggs and if
the said young maire given to John Bentley do live to bring a colt, I give it
to my Son William Bentley. ALL THE BEFORE MENCONED GOODS GIVEN AWAY BY ME I
DESIRE MAY BE DELIVERED WHEN THEY COME TO THE AGE OF TWENTY ONE YEARES OF
AGE. Witness my hand and Seal this 12th of August 1731.  Signed Anna Bentley.
 In presence of us THOS. NASHE, THOS. NASH JUNR.

At a Court held for Richmond County the first day of September 1731.  Ann
Bentley in Open Court acknowledged this Deed of Gift to her Children, which
was admitted to record.

In a message dated 7/16/2002 2:29:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, jleehunt1
writes:

> [...]
> Samuel Samford and wife Elizabeth, AND 80 acres for15 pounds lawful money
> from Richard King and wife Sarah. The only geographical feature mentioned
> in both is Farnham Creeke (close to Totuskey Creek in deed of 1723
> mentioning Ann Bentley widow). Names mentioned in bodies of the deeds
> include: (a) Samford deed -- James BIDDLECOMBE, Robert FRISTOW and Jane his
> wife, Richard JASPR, Robert BAYLIS and Jane widow,; and (b) King deed --
> Robt.. WOOD, Alexander SWAN, Thomas GRIFFIN, George HOWELL, Robert BAYLIST.
> Stephen GUPTON/GUBTON and Edward JONES are witnesses to both. Note: when
> “lawfulle” money is converted to tobacco, the King land costs less per
> acre than the Samford land, but not substantially enough to infer any sort
> of privileged relationship.
>
> 1704 (Richmond) – August 3. Phillips receives land for importation of
> RICHARD BENTLEY.
> Js Phillips received 400 acre for importation of Thomas OWENS, Richard
> BENTLEY, Edw DIXON, John FRASER, Mary BRADGETT, Mary HILL, Wm YATES, Mary
> FITZGERALD, Per Court Order Book.
>
> 1717 (Richmond) – November 2 ANN, d/o DANIEL AND ANN BENTLEY baptised. No
> Farnham Parish Records,
>
> 1719 (Richmond) – December 30, SAMUEL, s/o DANIEL and ANN BENTLEY baptised,
> No. Farnham Parish Records.
>
> 1720/21 (Richmond) – March 13, WILLIAM, s/o DANIEL and ANN BENTLEY
> baptised.. No. Farnham Parish Records.
>
> 1720/21 (Richmond) – March 19 DANIEL BENTLEY writes WILL, proven August 2
> 1721. Names sons Daniel and James, the latter to be cared for by his
> brother. Wife (not named) executrix. Signed 19 March 1720 Witness: Wm.
> Gupton, Margot M. Smith (her mark), Thos. _______
>
> 1721 (Richmond) – August 2. wife ELIZABETH, executrix presents DANIEL
> BENTLEY’S will in court. Richmond County Order Book, 1721-32, page 10
> (Sparacio). “(Daniel) BENTLEY’s Will proved
>
> 1721 (Richmond) – September 6, DANIEL BENTLEY’S inventory. Will Book 4,
> Page 195 (TLC Genealogy Abstract). Includes servant boy James SPICER.
> Signed-- James Suggitt, Thomas Jesper, Thos. Nash. Recorded Sep 6, 1721.
> (Later Bentley, Spicer marriages).
>
> 1723 (Richmond) – June 4, ANNE BENTLEY, mentioned as WIDOW in deed..
> Richmond County Deeds 1720-1733, Pages 199-200 (Sparacio) Samuel SAMFORD
> and Giles SAMFORD sell to Thomas NASH ... Neighbors on borders include
> Gabrill ALLOWAY, Edward LEWIS, Thomas NASH. In addition to Totuskey Creek,
> Dark Meck Swamp is mentioned. Witnesses: Edwd. JONES, Peter James BALTEZER,
> Thomas NASH, Jr. (all signed their names).
>
> 1724 (Richmond) – April 13, ALICE, d/o DANIEL and ELIZABETH BENTLEY
> baptised. No. Farnham Parish Records.
>
> 1726 (Richmond)– February 28 DANIEL, s/o DANIEL and ELIZABETH BENTLEY,
> baptised.. No Farnham Parish Records.
>
> 1730 (Amelia/Prince George) – May 19. _____, d/o JOHN and MARY BENTLEY
> baptised. Bristol Parish Register Records. __ dater of JOHN and MARY
> Bentley Born 19th May 1730. (Believed to be John, brother of Samuel).

<inserted>