VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 20:06:15 EDT
In a message dated 5/9/01 11:38:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

<<
 Date:    Wed, 9 May 2001 14:24:47 -0700
 From:    Randy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: Milton, Virginia

  Milton is a town that no longer exists, in western Albemarle County between
White Hall and Free Union, on Meachum River (or is it the Mechunk?).

   - Randy Jones

I must make this correction.  Milton is East of Charlottesville on the
Rivanna River, perhaps 2 - 3 miles downstream.  Until around 1812 it was the
seat of commerce for the county...at present there is a bridge which connects
county road 729 to US 250, which is more often referred to on 250 as
Shadwell..Milton is very close to Monticello (as is Shadwell).  Randy is
correct that the town no longer exists.  There is ground excavation currently
underway that some persons tried to postpone for a study, but it apparently
did not hold this up.  I read somewhere that the view by air allowed one to
see the depressions of buildings, etc, and it was thought it should be
studied.

Alice in Fluvanna