VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:40:41 -0500
There is and was a substantial difference between "jail" and "penitentiary"; the former quite usually built to confine felons only, and the latter, those guilty of misdemeanors.  Then too, jails were almost always the places of confinements for those who were to be held by order of the court pending trial or other disposition of the case.

I think you have no choice but to view and read that entry yourself, and then see if there are any further criminal records to be found at either the county of state level.  I personally have not seen any court order that used those two terms synonymously or as in "either, or".

Paul