VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:50:11 -0500
Ms. Marie. I teach students that in every instance they must give credit to both the copyright holder and the author for any passage they use.  Then too, by reason of the complexity of the "Fair Use" rules, those being beyond the comprehension of even lawyers without writing experience, I suggest they never quote or use passages of more than 25 or so words without permission.

That number is NOT the law, since there is no set number of words or paragraphs or even thoughts, nevertheless I personally have never seen any trouble arise from such minimal usage.  Might such a number of words one day bring problems?  Sure, but that is the risk of using the materials of others.

Though those are several years old, my articles, written in association with a well known CG, that appeared in Heritage Quest and in NGS Newsletter a half dozen years or more ago are still the state of the law concerning the questions you asked.

Finally, one cardinal rule to remember: paraphrasing is by definition plagiarism.