VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:08:25 -0500
---1900 prices to contrast with 1850

I and others, I am sure, appreciate your comments, Bill.  I do know
that my multipliers are fraught with danger, since the average family
history buff simply will not have time in life to develop a bank of
knowledge of the regional and sectional differences of which we both
have spoken.  It is for those reasons and the many questions directed
to me in my classes and here, having to do with early prices and
costs, that I have set forth what I USE with no prescription that
others do the same.

Between us chickens, no matter the variations you appropriately
mention, for the CPI related websites to suggest that 10 is usable for
a comparison of prices in 1850 with now is beyond my understanding.
Paul