VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2011

From:
byron bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:43:38 -0400
  	How consistently did individuals, who were unable to write, use the
same mark when signing documents?

          Has anyone done a study of the consistency or inconsistency
of marks?

          I have found two instances where men named Peter Beller
signed a document using a mark, and I would love to have input from
the List Members to help me judge the likelihood that the signers were
different men.

          The first instance is the signature on the 1728 Lancaster
Co. PA Naturalization Petition. To sign, this Peter Beller made his
mark, a backward slanting “B” and a recorder wrote in the rest of the
name on the petition, incorporating the mark as the initial letter of
“Beller”

          The second instance  is the signature on a 1756 Halifax
County VA bill-of-sale. The court record indicates that to sign, this
Peter Beller made his mark, a forward slanting “P B”, and the clerk
copied the mark into the record. In other cases where marks were used,
the same clerk reproduced the unique marks, so I think that Peter
Beller’s mark was like the “PB” shown in the image.

          The letter B in in the second mark is quite different from
the first mark.

Byron Bowman