VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2006

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:12:50 -0600
HATCHER website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
HATCHER DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
"Genealogy without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Sheesh! Sometimes things just go over your head and you blow it entirely!

"Are we to infer that Ann Knibb and Jamestown Hatcher are not married?
Didn't illegitimacy affect the inheritance laws in an intestate situation in
the
mid-eighteenth century?"

You spotted what I missed completely (fresh eyes will do it). Thomas Knibb
was the grandfather (died 1747). Ann (Knibb) was his wife/widow. They had a
daughter, Ann Knibb (Jr) who married Jamestown Hatcher.

So in this 1761 deed we actually have Ann Knibb, widow of Thomas, and
Jamestown Hatcher, her son-in-law, involved in this deed.

Thank you for getting me back on the right path and that now makes my
question moot.

Nel