VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2001

From:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:06:15 -0400
Dear Carole (and VA List),

Of all my genealogy, the Ransons are the most mysterious line for me.

Attached below is my notes on my Ranson ancestors. In the mid 1940's, my
Great Aunt Sally (Sally Bedinger Hopkins), who had raised my father, gave a
lot of genealogical information to my mother. My parents were divorced when
I was four and I was raised by my father. About ten years ago, I had been
back in touch with my mother as an adult --- my mother sent me the material
she had gotten from my grandmother 50 years ago. It sat around for awhile
and about two or three years ago I began to take an active interest. I
found that my Tucker, Bland and Randolph, Clay and Bedinger lines were
generally well documented, but where there were gray areas, when I followed
my Aunt Sally's information, she always turned out to have known what she
was talking about. Unfortunately she died before I became interested in
this --- and much information must have died with her.

When I find Ranson references, I seldom find my Ranson's. Aunt Sally says
they were descended from Peter Ransone, but when I find references to him I
do not find data to link him with James or Matthew. Incidentally, I do find
Ransons and Ransones in France and Belgium, but no clear connection.

If you or anyone on the VA list can help shed any light, I'd greatly
appreciate it.

St. George Tucker Ranson

At 10:25 AM 8/20/2001 -0400, Tucker Ranson wrote:
>Dear Carole,
>
>Possibly. I'd be interested to compare notes. I'll follow up with a more
>detailed e-mail.
>
>Tucker
>
>At 09:32 AM 8/20/01 -0400, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 8/19/01 11:27:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>>[log in to unmask] writes:
>>Hi Tucker,
>>
>>  Are your RANSONS connected with my RANSOMS from VA>TN probable descent
>> from
>>PETER RANSOM/RANSONE of VA, PROVEN descendant of JAMES RANSOM & GRISSEL
>>GWATHMEY/Gwaltney/Gaffney of early Virginia whose descendants moved to
>>TENNESSEE and beyond.
>>
>>CaroleBurnettCook
>>in Delaware
>>
>>>Date:    Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:28:16 -0400
>>>From:    Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: Re: digital cameras
>>>
>>>I've gotten very good results with a Kodak 4800 with 3.1 meg resolution.
>>>
>>>Tucker Ranson

Descendants of James Ransoné

Generation No. 1

         1.  James1 Ransoné was born 1640 in Matthews Co., VA1, and died
Unknown.  He married Letitia.

Notes for James Ransoné:
         The Ranson Family

         Descended from the house of Ransoné in the South of France, where
the name is still favourably known. Being Protestant Huguenots, most of
them were driven from France upon the revocation of the Edict of Nantes
1685 [check date].
         Before this, among those whom religious persecution had exiled,
were James and Peter Ransoné, who were among the earliest settlers of the
Gloucester Peninsula, Va., holding land grants as early as 1643.
         Their names appear among the first vestrymen of Kingston Parish in
1677 under the ministry of the Rev. Michael Typerias [Typerios?]. (Meade's
Old Church and Fam of Va., Vol. 1, p. 326.) This parish was in that part of
Gloucester which was cut off as Matthew's Co. in 1690, and is said to have
taken its name from one of the family.
         Peter was a member of the Va. House of Burgesses in 1642, as was
his son Peter [white-out] Jonnés [?] 60 years later.
         (Break in record)

(Source: Sally B. Hopkins)

What is missing is the link between James Ransoné and Peter Ransoné.

Birth date is per David Ranson Genealogy Home Page,
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/r/a/n/David-R-Ranson/index.html

Children of James Ransoné and Letitia are:
+       2       i.      Richard2 Ransoné, born in Matthews Co., VA.
         3       ii.     Payton Ransoné.
         4       iii.    Anne Ransoné.
         5       iv.     Lucy Ransoné.
         6       v.      Catherine Ransoné.
         7       vi.     Francis Ransoné.
         8       vii.    Unknown Ransoné.
         9       viii.   Unknown 2 Ransoné.

Generation No. 2

         2.  Richard2 Ransoné (James1) was born in Matthews Co., VA.  He
married Ann Whiting Petyton March 21, 17711, daughter of ? Petyton.

Notes for Richard Ransoné:
Richard Ransoné, of Matthews Co., who married (Mar. 21, 1771) Ann Whiting,
daughter of __________ Petyton (?) and __________. They moved to Jefferson
Co, Va., and lived on the estate called "Harewood" afterwards moving to
Martinsburg Co., Va., where he died in 18__. His widow returned to Charles
Town, Jeff. Co., and died in 18__.  (Source: Sally B. Hopkins)

Notes for Ann Whiting Petyton:
Should this last name be " Petyton" or "Payton" (see son)? " Petyton"
spelling is from handwritten MS by Sally B. Hopkins.

Children of Richard Ransoné and Ann Petyton are:
+       10      i.      Matthew3 Ransoné, born 1772; died May 16, 1840.
         11      ii.     Payton Ransoné.
Notes for Payton Ransoné:
Payton Ransoné, who died at 18 unmarried. (Source: Sally B. Hopkins)
+       12      iii.    Anne Ransoné.
         13      iv.     Lucy Ransoné.  She married Joseph McFeeby.
Notes for Lucy Ransoné:
Lucy Ransoné md. Joseph NcFeeley, no issue. Moved to the West. (Source:
Sally B. Hopkins)
+       14      v.      Catherine Ransoné.
+       15      vi.     Francis Ransoné.
+       16      vii.    Unknown Ransoné.
+       17      viii.   Unknown2 Ransoné.

Generation No. 3

         10.  Matthew3 Ransoné (Richard2, James1) was born 1772, and died
May 16, 1840.  He married Elizabeth Morgan May 05, 18072, daughter of Abel
Morgan and Elizabeth Bedinger.  She was born August 27, 17843, and died May
28, 18523.

Notes for Matthew Ransoné:
Matthew Ransoné, md. Elizabeth Morgan, who was born Aug. 27, 1784 and died
May 28, 1852, of Jeff. Co. Va. (May 4, 1807), daughter of Abel Morgan and
Elizabeth Bedinger. Matthew died May 16, 1840, aged about 68. Lived at
Berkeley Co. Va. mean Martinsberg, where Wm. T. Stewart, now resides.
Morgan Morgan, ancestor of his wife, a native of Wales, built in 1740, the
first Episcopal Church in the Valley of Va. at Mill Creek in Berkely Co. in
which he was assisted by Dr. John Brisoe and Mr. Hite. It was one of his
Morgan family in the South of Wales to whom the trial by Jury is said to
owe its origin. The name in Welsh signifies "child of the Sea." Matthew
dropped the final é as superfluous. (Source: Sally B. Hopkins)

Mathew Ranson died on the 16th day of May 1840 aged about 68 years. ---
Ranson Family Bible

Notes for Elizabeth Morgan:
Matthew Ransoné, md. Elizabeth Morgan, who was born Aug. 27, 1784 and died
May 28, 1852, of Jeff. Co. Va. (May 4, 1807), daughter of Abel Morgan and
Elizabeth Bedinger. Matthew died May 16, 1840, aged about 68. Lived at
Berkeley Co. Va. mean Martinsberg, where Wm. T. Stewart, now resides.
Morgan Morgan, ancestor of his wife, a native of Wales, built in 1740, the
first Episcopal Church in the Valley of Va. at Mill Creek in Berkely Co. in
which he was assisted by Dr. John Brisoe and Mr. Hite. It was one of his
Morgan family in the South of Wales to whom the trial by Jury is said to
owe its origin. The name in Welsh signifies "child of the Sea." Matthew
dropped the final é as superfluous.. (Source: Sally B. Hopkins)

Elizabeth Morgan was born August 27th in the year of our Lord 1784.
Matthew Ranson and Elizabeth Morgan were married on the 5th day of May 1807.
Elizabeth Ranson, wife of Matthew Ranson, died on the 28th of May 1852. ---
Ranson Family Bible.

Note the one day difference between the Family Bible and Aunt Sally on the
marriage date.

Marriage Notes for Matthew Ransoné and Elizabeth Morgan:
"Matthew Ranson and Elizabeth Morgan were married on the 5th day of May 1807."
Source: Ranson Family Bible
Note spelled Ranson, not Ransoné. See notes under Matthew.

Children of Matthew Ransoné and Elizabeth Morgan are:
+       18      i.      Richard Henry4 Ranson, born February 25, 1808.
+       19      ii.     Ann Elizabeth Ranson, born January 18, 1810; died
July 11, 1837 in Also Natchez?.
+       20      iii.    George William Ranson, born May 13, 1812; died June
13, 1882.
         21      iv.     Mary Ellen Ranson, born May 23, 18143; died August
20, 18143.
Notes for Mary Ellen Ranson:
Mary Ellen Ranson 2nd daughter of same persons was born on the 23rd day of
May in the year 1815.
--- Ranson Family Bible
         22      v.      Ellen Mary Ranson, born July 27, 18153; died
November 18, 18293.
Notes for Ellen Mary Ranson:
Ellen Mary Ranson 3rd daughter of same persons was born on the 27th day of
July in the year 1815.
Ellen Mary Ranson 3rd daughter of Matthew and Elizabeth Ranson died on the
20th day of November 1829.
  --- Ranson Family Bible
         23      vi.     James Matthew Ranson, born September 13,
18173.  He married Mary Ellinor Baldwin July 01, 18413.
Notes for James Matthew Ranson:
James Matthew Ranson 3rd son of same persons was born on the 13th of
September in the  year 1817. --- Ranson Family Bible

Marriage Notes for James Ranson and Mary Baldwin:
James Matthew Ranson was married to Mary Ellinor Baldwin on the 1st day of
July 1841.
Source: Ranson Family Bible
         24      vii.    Daniel Morgan Ranson, born August 25, 18193; died
August 17, 18363.
Notes for Daniel Morgan Ranson:
Daniel Morgan Ranson 4th son of the same persons was born on the 25th of
August in the year of our Lord 1819.
Daniel Morgan Ranson 4th son of Matthew and Elizabeth Ranson died on th
17th day of 1836 at about 9 oclock P.M.
  --- Ranson Family Bible
         25      viii.   Virginia Olivia Ranson3, born October 29, 18203;
died September 23, 18223.
Notes for Virginia Olivia Ranson:
Virginia Olivia Ranson fourth daughter of Matthew and Elizabeth Ranson was
born on the 29th day of October in the year 1820.
Virginia Olivia Ranson 4th daughter of same persons died on the 23rd day of
September 1822 about 7 oclock A.M.
  --- Ranson Family Bible.

Aunt Sally had her as Olivia Virginia Ranson

         12.  Anne3 Ransoné (Richard2, James1)  She married (1) Thomas
Flagg.    She married (2) Unknown Hiviner.

Child of Anne Ransoné and Thomas Flagg is:
         26      i.      John Ranson4 Flagg.

Children of Anne Ransoné and Unknown Hiviner are:
         27      i.      Washington4 Hiviner.
         28      ii.     Joseph Hiviner.

         14.  Catherine3 Ransoné (Richard2, James1)4.  She married (1)
Richard A. Harris4.    She married (2) Unknown Rankin.

Notes for Catherine Ransoné:
Catherine Ransoné md.
                 (1st) Richard A. Harris of Fauquir Co., Va. & had:
                         (1)     Alexander, died as infant
                         (2)     Richard, died at Charles Town, in issue known
                 (2nd) __________ Rankin of Baltimore (no issue known)

Notes for Richard A. Harris:
Richard A. Harris of Farquir Co., Va. (Source: Sally B. Hopkins)

Children of Catherine Ransoné and Richard Harris are:
         29      i.      Alexander4 Morris4.
Notes for Alexander Morris:
Alexander, died as infant (Source: Sally B. Hopkins)
         30      ii.     Richard Morris4.
Notes for Richard Morris:
Richard, died at Charles Town, in issue known (Source: Sally B. Hopkins)

         15.  Francis3 Ransoné (Richard2, James1)  She married William Gibbs.

Child of Francis Ransoné and William Gibbs is:
         31      i.      a son4 Gibbs.

         16.  Unknown3 Ransoné (Richard2, James1)  She married Unknown
Jamison.

Children of Unknown Ransoné and Unknown Jamison are:
         32      i.      Lewis4 Jamison.
         33      ii.     Matilda Jamison.

         17.  Unknown23 Ransoné (Richard2, James1)  She married Edward
Christiian.

Child of Unknown2 Ransoné and Edward Christiian is:
         34      i.      Lucinda4 Christiian.

Generation No. 4

         18.  Richard Henry4 Ranson (Matthew3 Ransoné, Richard2, James1)
was born February 25, 18085.  He married (1) Julia Augusta DeHaven January
26, 1831.    He married (2) Achsah C. Hickman June 05, 19495.

Notes for Richard Henry Ranson:
Richard Henry Ranson, 1st son of Matthew and Elizabeth Ranson was born on
the 25th day of February in the year 1808. --- Ranson Family Bible

Marriage Notes for Richard Ranson and Julia DeHaven:
Richard Henry Ranson was married to Augusta DeHaven on the 26th of Jany. 1831

Ranson Family Bible

Child of Richard Ranson and Julia DeHaven is:
+       35      i.      Joseph Morgan5 Ranson, born April 01, 1832 in
Cannonsburgh, PA.

Children of Richard Ranson and Achsah Hickman are:
         36      i.      Matilda Green5 Ranson.
         37      ii.     Elizabeth Morgan Ranson.
         38      iii.    Frank Bedinger Ranson.

         19.  Ann Elizabeth4 Ranson (Matthew3 Ransoné, Richard2, James1)
was born January 18, 18105, and died July 11, 1837 in Also Natchez?5.  She
married Dr. Thomas Davis May 25, 1831.  He died October 04, 1837 in
Natchez, LA5.

Notes for Ann Elizabeth Ranson:
Ann Elizabeth Ranson 1st daughter of the same persons was born on the 19th
day of January 1810.
Elizabeth Davis died on the 11th day of July 1837.
  --- Ranson Family Bible

Notes for Dr. Thomas Davis:
Dr. Thomas Davis died October 4th 1837 in Natchez. --- Ranson Family Bible
There is an additional parenthetical note in another handwriting, but it is
illegible in the copy available.

More About Dr. Thomas Davis:
Degree: Doctor

Marriage Notes for Ann Ranson and Thomas Davis:
Doctor Thomas Davis was married to Ann Elizabeth Ranson on the 25th of May
1831.

Source: Ranson Family Bible

Child of Ann Ranson and Thomas Davis is:
         39      i.      James Matthew5 Davis, born August 10, 18355; died
July 11, 18375.
Notes for James Matthew Davis:
James Matthew Davis was bourn August 10th 1835.  --- Ranson Family Bible

         20.  George William4 Ranson (Matthew3 Ransoné, Richard2, James1)5
was born May 13, 18125, and died June 13, 18825.  He married (1) Amelia C.
Winrott March 17, 1840.    He married (2) Lavinia Drake Bedinger October
18525.  She died December 25, 1852.  He married (3) Olivia Morgan Bedinger
Todd September 12, 18545, daughter of Benjamin Bedinger and Sarah
Wade.   died 5.

Notes for George William Ranson:
George William Ranson 2nd son of same persons was born on the 13th day of
May in the year 1812.
George William Ranson 2nd son of
  --- Ranson Family Bible

Notes for Lavinia Drake Bedinger:
Lavinia Drake Bedinger Ranson wife of Geo. W. Ranson died on the 25th of
December 1852. She was the bride of about 10 weeks. --- Ranson Family Bible

Marriage Notes for George Ranson and Lavinia Bedinger:
George Wiklliam Ranson and Lavinia Drake Bedinger were married on [blank
space] October 1852
Ranson Family Bible

Marriage Notes for George Ranson and Olivia Todd:
George William Ranson and Olivia Morgan Todd (born Bedinger) were married
on the 12th day of September 1854. --- Ranson Family Bible.

Child of George Ranson and Amelia Winrott is:
         40      i.      Matthew Davis5 Ranson, born January 25, 18415.
Notes for Matthew Davis Ranson:
Matthew Davis Ranson, son of George Ranson and Amelia C. Ranson, was born
January 25th in the year 1841. --- Ranson Family Bible

Child of George Ranson and Olivia Todd is:
+       41      i.      George William5 Ranson, Jr..

Generation No. 5

         35.  Joseph Morgan5 Ranson (Richard Henry4, Matthew3 Ransoné,
Richard2, James1) was born April 01, 1832 in Cannonsburgh, PA5.  He married
Mary Smith November 16, 1859 in Covington, KY.  She was born in Covington, KY.

Notes for Joseph Morgan Ranson:
 From RootsWeb:
Sandi Gorin's Kentucky Biographies

Centre College Alumni, Published 1890. 1854 graduate, Kenton Co.

Joseph Morgan Ranson, Born April 1, 1832, in Cannonsburgh, PA. Merchandise.
Married to Miss Mary W. Smith, of Covington, KY.

Joseph Morgan Ranson, son of Richard Henry and Augusta Ranson was born
April 1st 1832. --- Ranson Family Bible.

Children of Joseph Ranson and Mary Smith are:
         42      i.      Wright6 Ranson.
         43      ii.     Richard Ranson.
         44      iii.    Matilda Ranson.
         45      iv.     William Ranson.

         41.  George William5 Ranson, Jr. (George William4, Matthew3
Ransoné, Richard2, James1)  He married May Stevenson.

Notes for George William Ranson, Jr.:
I believe he had gone to medical school and become an MD, but never
practiced. He became some sort of minor politician in Ohio, where he served
as some sort of Highway Commissioner.

Child of George Ranson and May Stevenson is:
+       46      i.      Stanley Dawson Stevenson6 Ranson, born January 04,
1893; died March 28, 1961 in Kenton, Boone Co., KY.

Generation No. 6

         46.  Stanley Dawson Stevenson6 Ranson (George William5, George
William4, Matthew3 Ransoné, Richard2, James1) was born January 04, 18936,
and died March 28, 1961 in Kenton, Boone Co., KY7.  He married (1) Laura
Brooke Bedinger, daughter of Everet Bedinger and Emily Clay.  She was born
1892, and died April 13, 1927.  He married (3) Nan Chambers.

Notes for Stanley Dawson Stevenson Ranson:
My Grandfather attended Davidson College, with a BA in either English or
Classics. He owned a small farm in Covington, KY.

His wife, Laura Bedinger was a first cousin. She died of peritonitis when
my father was six (I believe). My father was sent to Alabama to live with
Laura's sister, Aunt Sally, on her husband's farm. Brooke was sent to live
in Anchorage, KY with "Auntie."

Later, after my father was an adult, Stanley remarried to a woman we called
Mother Nan. She was an antivivisectionist and when I was a child all
animals on the farm were pets. Their milk and eggs were taken, but no
animal was slaughtered. Lambs were particular pets of Mother Nan. Also my
grandfather refused to grow tobacco, which he considered an evil. Perhaps I
would have inherited money if he had, but he left me another, more valuable
legacy remember my grandfather singing Robert Burns (Coming Through the
Rye) and Stephen Foster songs (My Old Kentucky Home) and reciting
Shakespeare in the parlor. I remember the cold cellar next to the house. I
remember being taken to swim in a very cold, spring fed creek. Between
visits he collected Indian artifacts and fossils his tractor would turn up.
I remember a Trilobite's tail, Indian arrow heads and a stone axe head.

My grandfather was an active man up until he had a stroke when I was about
eight years old. I never saw him after that. He lived at home and Mother
Nan cared for him. When he was buried, my father said
she had a broken arm -- my grandfather had hit her with his cane.

Children of Stanley Ranson and Laura Bedinger are:
         47      i.      MS William Wade7 Ranson, born April 15, 1924 in
Cincinatti, OH.  He married (1) Betty Gray Baker Abt. 1945 in Atlanta, GA;
born Abt. 1925 in New York, NY.  He married (2) Jimmie Lou McNeil Abt.
1950; born in Evergreen, AL.  He married (3) Eileen Gray Abt. 1980.
         48      ii.     Stevenson Brooke Ranson, born June 26, 19248.  He
married Jean Abt. 1946; died 19899.
Notes for Stevenson Brooke Ranson:
After his mother's death, Brooke Sa sent to live with an aunt, Lavalette
Ford Orr ("Auntie") in Paris, KY.

Notes for Jean:
Brooke served in WWII and returned with a Scotish "war bride," Aunt Jean. I
remember Aunt Jean saying "Whiskey is Scotch, people are Scottish." She
died in an automobile accident in 1989.

Endnotes

1.  Family Oral History.
2.  Ranson Family Bible, Matthew is listed as "Ranson," not Ransone."
3.  Ranson Family Bible.
4.  Sally B. Hopkins.
5.  Ranson Family Bible.
6.  Family Oral History.
7.  Kentucky Death Records, Vol. 17, Cert. 08117, Death Vol. 1961.
8.  Family Oral History.
9.  My memory.