VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:23:31 -0800
Dear all,

I've avoided the hollow discussion, my ancestors were in VA from the 1600s to 1870, but I grew up away.  However, I went to high school in northwest Pennsylvania (Allegheny Mountains) and you might be interested to know that the hollows, both as descriptions and cultures, run all the way up there.

More importantly, the discussion points up the problem with books written a long time ago.  While the "facts" they report may be reliable (or more for frequently just the only place to find them) the authors were always writing in a time that carried its own class distinctions, racial prejudices, etc.  Like some of the other commentators, I find it extremely difficult to read such works and a real puzzle as to how to cite them.  I've taken to making typed (on the computer) excerpts and specifically including (in red) the portions that display the cultural faults of the time they wrote in.  That makes it easier to footnote any reference to the book with a statement as to its failings, with page references.  It also means you need to be very careful in reading to separate conclusions that were supposedly common "at the time" of the events from the prejudices actually present in the author when the book was written.  Nobody ever said this stuff was easy!

On the DNA subject, it is important to understand the limits of the tests.  The most useful test for genealogists is the yDNA test which will trace directly back from son to father as far as anyone would want to go.  If you have a male relative in the right position, this is a powerful tool.  It's a standard technology and any of the providers will do an adequate job. But, as with any test, please keep in mind that the test can only be of use if you can compare it with, and potentially match, someone else's results.  That factor tends to favor using one of the larger providers with a wider pool of potential comparisons.

The other "direct" test is for mitochondrial DNA (MtDNA), this one moves in the opposite direction, from daughter to mother, back through time.  The problem for genealogy is, of course, is that every mother will carry a different surname so the progress backwards cuts sideways across surnames.  I think this test is likely most useful for the most recent generations and for someone primarily interested in a very confined locality.

The problem defined in Aurelia's and Carole's comments concerns tests that have different names but all purport to give hints as to "all" of someone's relatives.  My general impression is that these tests can be helpful in showing a "positive" connection (i.e. one of the comparison names shares a surname with a known family member) but is very spotty in terms of negative information (i.e. failure to report a Native-American or African-American connection can't be relied as proof there isn't such a connection).  There is a specialized site, whose name, I believe, is "23 and Me" that has been working on a significantly improved "general" test, but I'm not sure how far that's gotten or if the test is generally available.

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA