VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2004

Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 02:00:09 EDT
Greetings,
I am searching for info on Thomas & Helen R. Chappell in Halifax Co VA abt.
1860.
Thomas & Helen R. were the children of Robert Chappell, Jr.
Robert Chappell, Sr., died in Halifax County, VA in Feb of 1829.
Will Book # 15, on page 128
In the inventory of his possessions listed under Slaves was "woman Mary &
child Peter."

Robert Chappell, Sr., had a son, Robert Chappell, Jr.
In 1859, Robert Chappell, Jr., died. In Will book 26, page 463.
Robert Chappell, Jr.,  willed to his daughter Helen R. Chappell
five slaves: "Peter, George, Hannah, Elvira and Mary."

In the 1860 Census, Helen R. Chappell was living with her brother Thomas
Chappell.
Thomas was listed as having $4000 in real estate, and $19,000 in personal
property.
In the 1860 Slave Schedules, Helen R. Chappell is not listed, so, someone
else was claiming  the slaves her father willed to her. I figure her brother
Thomas.
There were two Thomas Chappell listed, one with 22 slaves, the other with 18
slaves.
Either Thomas will do.

I assume, Peter was still a slave in 1860, held by the above Thomas and his
sister Helen R. Chappell.
In 1860, Thomas and his sister, Helen R. Chappell were living within 10 miles
of Joel Younger. Joel Younger held Allie, the wife of Peter, in slavery.

Thomas and Helen R. Chappell had siblings named:
1.Octivia,
2. Janetta, m. Edwin S. Hart in 1836, and
3. Orra, m.  John L. Tucker in 1836.

I am looking for any additional info on Thomas and Helen R. Chappell, hoping
for more information on my ancestors, Peter ( when freed he used the Chappell
surname) and his mother, Mary.

Thanks in advance,
Larry