VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2006

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 00:47:51 -0400
Hi Elizabeth,

You're certainly correct in your definition of transcribed versus edited --
I would describe the letters as being somewhere in between; I would say it
was mostly the spelling that was edited and I know for a fact that there
were some errors in the reading.  Still, they did a noteworthy job, even
including a brief biography of Hopkins and an index.  I should not be quite
so critical :-)

That said, I definitely endorse transcribing verbatim whether it be written
or oral text.  If one feels one must clarify a word or sentence, do it in
brackets after the transcription.

Kathy