VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2010

From:
Wanda Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:28:44 -0500
Bill,

All censuses are available on Heritage Quest, but some of them are not
searchable (they are not indexed)  They can be accessed, however, by
clicking the "browse" button at the top of the page instead of the "search"
button.  This will bring you to a screen that will allow you to select the
census year, State, County, and section of the county.  Then you can scroll
through the pages. This is not the ideal solution, but since this is free
through local libraries, we can't complain too much. <grin>

I've found the browse feature helpful when I'm unable to find someone in the
index, especially since the Heritage Quest images seem to load faster than
Ancestry (at least that has been my experience).  Also sometimes the
Heritage Quest images are clearly than Ancestry (sometimes Ancestry is
clearer).   I use both databases in order to get the best access.

Good luck with your searches!

Wanda