VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:03:27 -0500
A question from "Sharon", but the answer applies to all of us:
********
 ?....How does one go about finding genealogy researchers who may be
researching the same line as myself?  Several years ago I was just
lucky, and found a person who had been researching for many years on
my mother's name.  The last several years have been very successful
because we have assisted each other, combined our knowledge, and
compiled a great deal of documentation.

Perhaps this was just luck - but now I am looking again; another
surname this time. Many of the published books on the .... surname are
old, but there must be others who have been hard at work yet may not
have a computer!!!  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...."
*********

I would suggest that you return to the tested and earlier methods of
research, virtually all of which turn on the "wheres" of an ancestor
at a given period.  Before the internet, having once established a
"where" for an ancestor of whom more info was wanted, I would join
that local gen. or historical society for a year, thereby gain
contacts in that "where", and submit many queries for the newsletter,
the first being "Who, please, is researching the __(?)__ family since
18_?_?"  Such societies are inexpensive and are quite usually revealed
on the internet under the name of the county or by a call to that
local library.

Then too, every courthouse I ever visited had or knew of materials
that had not yet been abstracted and published, and quite usually only
the locals knew the contents of those materials.  That is especially
true of tax and records of schools, churches and cemeteries.  Then
too, I have found NO community which did not have a local person who
knew "everybody and her grandma".  Contacts with those local
historians very often leads to a researcher of the lines sought.
Paul