VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

From:
William M <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:19:23 -0400
Indenture contracts were generally for 5 to 7 years. Therefore Margaret
Shaw's indentureship would have been completed long before the death of John
Hardyman.
In case of court ordered extensions because an indentured woman has a child,
the extensions which I have seen are for 12 to 18 months. Even such an
extension would not have extended her time of servitude beyond 1724.

With regard to what might happen to indentured servants after the death of
their land owner, it is important to remember that an indenture is a legal
contract. So much so, that if the land owner was not carrying out his part
of the bargain - providing clothing, food, education, or whatever was agreed
to - the indentured servant could take the land owner to court to enforce
the contract. As a contract, the indenture,  would have continued to the
rightful heir - in that time period, the eldest son.

William