VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:40:29 -0500
Does anyone have any information on the Paschal family that was in the
Amelia/Prince Edward Co., VA  (PECo) area by at least the 1760s-1770s or
so?  A Mary Paschal married a Joseph Rutledge (he was born in 1743 in Amelia
Co., VA) in that area of VA by about 1770.  In addtion, there was a Daniel
Brown and an Abraham Brown who were in PECo in 1754 (per the initial PECo
tax lists), and there were a couple of later men who were named Paschal
Brown in the Bedford Co., VA area who very well MIGHT have been
descendants of this Daniel Brown and/or Abraham Brown (and/or the Shadrack
Brown mentioned below).  This Abraham Brown appears to have been in
Lunenburg Co., VA by the 1760s.

Also, a Thomas Nance married a Sarah Gibbs (she was out of Middlesex Co.,
VA) in 1762, and they had a child who was named Paschal Nance who was
born in Bedford Co., VA.  I do not know the connection between that given
name and the Paschal family in the Amelia/PECo area, if any.

Finally, there was a Shadrack Brown who married a Mary Nance in 1761 in
Lunenburg Co., VA, and it strongly appears that Shadrack Brown was a
member of the same overall Brown family as the above-referenced Daniel
Brown and Abraham Brown (Daniel Brown and Shadrack Brown appeared on a
PECo deed together as witnesses for William Davison).  The above Thomas
Nance who married Sarah Gibbs was the son of a Richard Nance and his wife
MARY Unknown, and I can't help but wonder if the MARY Nance who married
Shadrack Brown in 1761 in Lunenburg was a sister of the Thomas Nance who
married Sarah Gibbs in 1762 (I do not have the location of this last marriage,
but as stated above, one of their children named Paschal Nance was born in
Bedford Co., VA).

Comments?  Thanks!