VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 11:35:09 -0600
HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question,  "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?" - Unknown

Speaking of errors [that aren't] in ancestry, years ago I did not understand what I was seeing in the 1850 census when I encountered lots of people living in eastern states being born in IA. It was a rare instance to find people who were born in western states to return to eastern states.

It took a little digging to discover that before IA became a state, the abbreviation for those born in Indiana was IA. I wonder how many newbies have their IN born ancestors being born in Iowa and wondering why they can't find them........

Nel