VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2010

From:
"R. C. Solomon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2010 03:33:38 -0700
Does anyone have access to the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, volume 92, No. 3, 1984? There is an article entitled "Conscription in Revolutionary Virginia" by John R. Van Atta that I think may name my ancestor Thomas Shaw, (listed as a free negro in the Culpeper County 1813 tax list) who was a substitute for him based on the Google result below. The tricky thing is  there was also a white Thomas Shaw in Culpeper too. I have access to JSTOR but not to the collection that contains the VMHB. Also I would like to know the original source for the article.

I hope I am not violating any copyright issues by asking for this, if I am please disregard and I will attempt to purchase the issue or article or go the Library of Congress or DAR. Thanks

Conscription in Revolutionary Virginia: The Case of Culpeper ...
by JR Van Atta - 1984 - Cited by 2 - Related articles
three Culpeper substitutes,. Philip. Phillips. (aged twenty-two),. Thomas Shaw (aged forty), and Joseph Hughes. (aged thirty- one), were black. Virginia ...
www.jstor.org/stable/4248727- Similar

Ruth Solomon