VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2010

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:22:36 -0500
Cathy....thanks so much.  There was a David Davidson who died in James City
Co. VA in 1687, per a surviving court order book record that mentioned his
will (and he was married to a Sarah, who I SUSPECT was a Sarah Hunt or a
Sarah Hamblin/Hamblen).  Surviving "naturalization papers" dated 1686 show
that this David Davidson was born in Holland.  The Davidson land was in the
part of James City Co., VA that became part of Charles City Co., VA in 1720
(just west of the Chickahominy River, in an area known as Pease Hill), and a
deed record indicates that David Davidson had owned that land since at least
1682.

There was a William Davidson who also died in James City Co., VA in 1687,
per surviving records of the Bruton and Middleton Parishes.   Per DNA
testing on living Davidson males (combined with a "ton" of research), it
seems certain that I am related to the family of the above-referenced David
Davidson (and my DNA indicates that my Davidson family has a "Viking
heritage").  I have no proof, however, as to whether David Davidson and
William Davidson were related to each other.  I also have no evidence that
Mayor Robert Davidson (died 1739) was related to either man....but who
knows?  The referenced David Davidson had a son who was also named David,
and this second/younger David Davidson, "Junior" died in Charles City, Co.,
VA in 1756 (and a Stephen Davidson was the executor of his will....per just
a court order book record, and not a will itself).  Other Davidsons in this
family in Charles City Co., VA in the 1700s appear to have included men
named Solomon, Ezekiel, Philemon, Edward (a couple of them), William (a
couple of them) and yet a third and fourth David Davidson (one was born
circa-1715, and the other one was born about 1762....and the younger one was
apparently a son of Solomon Davidson).

A male in my mother's Smith family also took the DNA test, and my maternal
Smith family "traces back" to the Alexander Smith who was in Lancaster Co.,
VA by at least the 1650s, and who died in Middlesex Co., VA in 1696.  Per my
research, I MAY be a descendant of the John Smith in that family who married
Sarah Waller, the youngest daughter of Judge Benjamin Waller and his wife
Martha Hall of Williamsburg, VA.  That is definitely the correct overall
Smith family (that John Smith was a gg-grandson of the referenced Alexander
Smith), but my research continues on whether that is truly my correct
"direct line."  My wife and I just walked around Colonial Williamsburg the
other day, and we went by the home of Judge Benjamin Waller.  We are so
blessed to have that area restored and maintained for future generations to
see!  Thanks again.