VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:17:29 EST
There is a difference and the difference can be you.  Some folks never get
beyond the phase of looking for that person who has done the work and swap
with them.  These folks always have a brick wall that needs climbing but
never figure out that they have the ability to climb it by doing research and
adding to the body of knowledge.
The LDS did the genealogical community a wonderful thing when they went
through Europe before WWII and filmed church records that were destroyed in
the war. Renting the microfilm and reading it in one of their family history
centers in a positive side of what they do genealogically. Their family files
are sadly flawed and instead of correcting them, they just add the new
material and continue to sell them all.
As to the republication of genealogies that appeared in no longer extent
magazines such as Tyler's Quarterly, or William and Mary Quarterly there is a
reason why those appear.  The copyright has run out and they are free to do
so. More recent articles that contain corrections can be found Indexed in
PERSI.  PERSI is a Reader's Guide for Genealogical Article and it originates
at The Allen County, [Indiana] Public Library.  They update it every year.
It is on CD-ROM.
Every genealogists is thrilled at the beginning when they find what is out
there.  But it takes a while before they realize how flawed some of the
swapped material is.
About 5 years ago there was a publication that focused on the Garrett family.
It is one of my lines so I work on it when I have time. I pointed out to the
editor that I had done a study on a the Catlett family who was alleged to
have been the name of the wife, in an effort to sort out the claim. I
compiled every record created by a person with the name Catlett and told her
it was not possible the wife could be a Catlett from the line of John. The
editor's answer was a list of 30 people who claimed it was so. No reply when
I pointed out if it came from the same source it was wrong. Once someone puts
something into print it takes on a life of its own.  I cringe when I think of
what I did early on and so do other professional genealogist.  I now require
persons to allow me to look at what they intend to publish because I want
what is credited to me to be correct.
I think fraudulent is a rather strong word and should be avoided in favor of
undocumented and faulty.  After all most folks one meets through genealogy
are good honest family oriented people.
I have never figured out why one would GIVE their information to a commercial
enterprise to sell. Margaret