VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:06:30 -0400
>Can anyone give me a good web page for info on the above? I would like to
>take my grandfather there in the coming weeks. He was a WW II vet.

There's a great website at http://www.dday.org/ that has all the
information you need.

Recently BeJe Garrett of the National D-Day Foundation sent me this list of
the men of Bedford in the 29th who died at Normandy:

A monument in front of the Bedford County Courthouse has the following
inscription:

"JUNE 6, 1944"

"ERECTED BY THE PARKER-HOBACK POST, 29TH DIVISION ASSOCIATION, IN MEMORY OF
THE BEDFORD COUNTY MEN OF THE 116TH INFANTRY REGIMENT, 29TH DIVISION, WHO
GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE PREPARATION FOR AND THE PARTICIPATION IN THE
NORMANDY INVASION AND LATER BATTLES OF WORLD WAR II.

COMPANY A

LESLIE C. ABBOTT, JR.                   CLIFTON G. LEE
WALLACE R. CARTER                       EARL L. PARKER
JOHN D. CLIFTON                         JACK G. POWERS
ANDREW J. COLEMAN                       JOHN F. REYNOLDS
FRANK P. DRAPER, JR.                    WELDON A. ROSAZZA
TAYLOR N. FELLERS                       JOHN B. SCHENK
CHARLES W. FIZER                                RAY O. STEVENS
NICK N. GILLASPIE                               GORDON H. WHITE, JR.
BEDFORD T. HOBACK                       JOHN L. WILKES
RAYMOND S. HOBACK                       ELMERE P. WRIGHT
                                GRANT C. YOPP

        COMPANY C                                 COMPANY F

JOSEPH E. PARKER, JR.                   JOHN W. DEAN

THIS STONE TAKEN FROM THE AREA OF VIERVILLE-SUR-MER ON THE NORMANDY BEACH,
A GIFT OF THE REPUBLIC OF FRANCE, WAS DEDICATED JUNE 6, 1954."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Listed below are the names of the above with their date of death, place of
burial, and the source(s) for this information:

COMPANY A

Leslie C. Abbott, Jr., KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Oakwood Cemetery, Bedford, VA
(C-T FH; VWD; MR)
Wallace R. Carter, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. ???? (VWD; MR)
John D. Clifton, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. ???? (VWD; MR)
Frank P. Draper, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Greenwood Cemetery, Bedford, VA
(C-T FH; VWD; MR)
Taylor N. Fellers, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Greenwood Cemetery, Bedford, VA
(C-T FH; MR)
Nick N. Gillaspie, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery,
France (ABMC; VWD; MR)
Bedford T. Hoback, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery,
France (ABMC; VWD; MR)
Raymond S. Hoback, MIA June 6, 1944, "Tablets of Missing", Normandy
American Cemetery, France (ABMC; VWD; MR)
Clifton G. Lee, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery, France
(ABMC; MR)
Earl L. Parker, MIA June 6, 1944, "Tablets of Missing", Normandy American
Cemetery, France (ABMC; VWD; MR)
Jack G. Powers, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery, France
(ABMC; VWD; MR)
John F. Reynolds, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Greenwood Cemetery, Bedford, VA
(C-T FH; VWD; MR)
Weldon A. Rosazza, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery,
France (ABMC; VWD; MR)
John B. Schenk, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery, France
(ABMC; VWD; MR)
Ray O. Stevens, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Greenwood Cemetery, Bedford, VA
(C-TFH; VWD; MR)
Gordon H. White, Jr., KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Forest, VA (VWD; MR)
John L. Wilkes, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Greenwood Cemetery, Bedford, VA (C-T
FH; VWD; MR)
Elmere P. Wright, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery (ABMC;
VWD; MR)
Grant C. Yopp, KIA June 6, 1944, bur. Normandy American Cemetery (ABMC;
VWD; MR)

Andrew J. Coleman, died July 16, 1944 (VWD; newspaper account, Bedford
City/County Museum; C-T FH)
Charles W. Fizer, KIA July 11, 1944 (VWD; newspaper account, Bedford
City/County Museum)

COMPANY C
Joseph E. Parker, Jr., KIA August 27, 1944, bur. Brittany American
Cemetery, France (ABMC; VWD)

COMPANY F
John W. Dean, KIA June 17, 1944 (newspaper account, Bedford City/County
Museum)

SOURCES:
ABMC - American Battle Monuments Commission
VWD      - "Personal War Service Record of Virginia's War Dead" (Virginia State
Archives)
MR - Morning Reports, National Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, MO
C-T FH - Carder-Tharp Funeral Home, Bedford, VA