VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2009

From:
Bonnie Flythe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bonnie Flythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:57:58 -0400
Thanks Enid,
So it was mercury not lead that was the problem.
A William Johnson, a son of David Johnson, in Goochland was quite unstable.
He married Sarah Toler in 1798, but repeatedly mortgaged his land and died
some time between 1812 and 1822 leaving no estate. Sarah Toler Johnson
was able to survive and raise the children through the assistance of her father
George Toler.
I would not state that it is a proven fact that being a hatter caused this.
Lots of brandy might do the same thing!  It is still interesting to try to extract
some meaning or at least hints from court records.
LVA Chancery records provided me with a wealth of information about William
and Sarah!  Bless the LVA for making those records available!
Bonnie