VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

From:
"john.weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
john.weiss
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 19:13:23 +0100
New on the list, and I have only just seen this thread. A further
possibility for 'foine' - the 'f' could be a long 's' and the 'i'
could be an 'r' and it could then read 'sorne' meaning 'sawn'.
This may seem far-fetched but I have learned to be imaginative in
reading manuscripts - yesterday, in a document of the 1812 war,
'Mr Moolhes' suddenly revealed itself to be 'Mr Brookes' and
every mention of 'negro' appears to be written 'necro' (the
latter became clear when I saw that *all* the 'g's in the
document were squashed up with no tail; *all* the 'k's were
spread out like 'lh'; and the capital 'B's were virtually
unrecognisable).

John Weiss