VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2011

From:
Dale Dulaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:36:40 -0400
Some of you may remember a blog post nearly a year ago about shredded
pages from a family Bible submitted as evidence in a Rockingham County
Chancery Cause. Like many chancery court records this particular case is not
only a gold mine for genealogists but may also be of interest to social
historians, military historians, and local historians. An extensive genealogy of
the Smith family is recorded on the Bible pages and the depositions of the
court case record an attempted exodus of families to Georgia as they sought
to escape the war-torn Shenandoah Valley. These Bible pages are now
conserved. See the work of our conservationists and read the original post.
Today’s post also records my farewell to blog readers and the Library of
Virginia. See the Out of the Box blog at

http://www.virginiamemory.com/blogs/out_of_the_box/