VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

From:
Brenda Overstreet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brenda Overstreet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:54:20 -0700
Re: Horse&WagonTravel

It also does not consider that these people walked everywhere and in all
conditions (topographical and weather).
To know what was a good time, you would have to take all of that into
account.
Age, health, physical condition of walker, etc.
My grandfather was over 70 when he used to walk (cross country) from
Roanoke, VA ---where he stayed with my aunt and ate breakfast ---
to Bedford, VA --- where he ate dinner with my uncle --- and back to Roanoke
for supper and to sleep for the night.
All this was in one day between sunup and sundown and he thought nothing of
it.
The trip by road is about 25 miles door-to-door in a car.  Bedford and
Roanoke are in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  The Blue Ridge Parkway
is only a few miles from my uncle's house.
Brenda Overstreet