VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

From:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:47:32 -0500
Hi Myrna and all,

We use our digital camera extensively!! We've photographed records from
the Archive Room at LVA. We've photographed record books at many of the
court houses. We've also photographed framed printed materials and
pictures. Some examples are:

Top half of an 1835 Richmond newspaper (totally readable in the image)
An 8x10 framed photo (printed as an 8x10, as good as the original)
Full pages of many Will Books, Order Books (totally readable)
Loose papers, tithable lists (totally readable)

The key to success is the camera's resolution. We use a Casio QV3000Plus
camera. It has 2048x1536 pixel image resolution. It uses a 340mb
Microdrive (a little hard disk) for storage. Each image is about
1.5mb-2.0mb file size, therefore the Microdrive is mandatory. It stores
245 of these images before we need to download them. Download is done
usually after a complete day of picture taking. USB is the download
method.

The resolution of 2048x1536 is adequate for readability. We have a Fuji
MX1400 with 1280x960 and this resolution does not allow for a full page
picture and still have it readable. The Casio costs about $1000.00 with
the Microdrive.

Steve and Bunny

--
BINNS-L surname email list
mailto:[log in to unmask]

American Binns Families and Individuals:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ysbinns/americanb/index.htm

1790/1800 County Tax Lists of Virginia
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ysbinns/vataxlists/index.htm