VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:31:23 -0800
Thanks, Paul.  You always seem to come through with the answers to my questions.
  What you wrote makes sense.  Thomas Rowland was a militia officer, recoginized for his expertise with a rifle.  I was just  surprised the building was so small.

  Joanne

Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
          A few LARGE plantations had a powder house, however most farmers and those others who needed to use weapons bought powder from their merchants.  Most of all, it was vital to removing stumps to clear land. As to those needs, note that virtually everyone had and used guns for hunting and varmints, though few made the powder.

  A building that size would hold MUCH gunpowder, and to mix it was not complicated nor did that activity require much space.  Thus, a structure of that size would meet the needs of all except those who manufactured that commodity for sale.

  As you saw, indeed it was a dangerous product to have near any dwelling or other building.

    Saltpeter, sulphur and lamp black were the only ingredients needed, and those too were widely available.  Since keeping powder VERY dry was a requirement of manufacture, those who made powder for resale went to considerable expense to create a building that was out of the reach of dampness, that factor once again being prohibitive of manufacture by small planters and ordinary men.

      Paul Drake JD
 Genealogist & Author
<www.DrakesBooks.com>
     931-484-9129