VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2013

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 14:39:04 -0400
You are very kind to offer to help me.
I have checked Ancestry and Fold3 but feel a more skilled researcher may
find something I overlooked. While I have had success with finding
Confederate soldiers on Fold3....not so much on WWII.
Ancestry came up dry also, other than the census. (His father, Charles H.
Harper is not in the 1940 census. The family lived in Winchester, VA at the
time.)
His data:
Charles Lee Harper
b. 5 Oct 1916 - Frederick Co, VA
d. 20 Mar 1984 - PA
Enlisted in 1941 when he was a student at UVA.
Single, did not marry until after the war.
Awarded Air Medal, Gold Star and Silver Star.
Charles was not opposed to embroidering details. For instance, his obit
says he was a lawyer but I can find no record of a law school. He married
money and spent 33 years on production of the Devon Horse Show in PA
wearing one hat or the other.....master of the hunt and all that, you know!
He was a Hollywood version of an ace pilot. Dark wavy hair, brown/black
eyes, drum major for high school band..... the women loved him...he had
quite a flair.

Look forward to your reply.  With appreciation
M. Preston