VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:05:08 -0500
Hi, Carol.  Thanks.  The year was 1862 (during the Civil War) and I have
searched diligently for any and all references concerning her at the county
probate court and the records of that institution.  At the State archives I
came upon the entrance, diagnosis, duration of stay and the release reports
of some 50 patients at the institution where she last was living, including
reference to my ancestor.

With permission of the county Probate Judge I was permitted to spend time
with the few extant materials having to do with her; found nothing further.
I also have long ago researched the law of "lunacy" at the dates of her
appearances, and find that the rules of her day required 2 witnesses to the
manifestations of her "disease" and a report from her physician diagnosing
the same.  Unfortunately, those witness reports appear to have been
destroyed a handful of decades later (probably 90 years after her release,
as the law allowed).

I consider myself fortunate to have discovered those scraps, and I learned a
lot about the years of here commitment, including what wearing apparel she
had at her discharge.