VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2009

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:41:07 -0400
Tim - The 1787 Census of Virginia, by Netti Schreiner-Yantis and Florene
Speakman Love, 3 v. (Springfield, Va.: GBIP, 1987) shows there were five
men named John HICKMAN in Virginia that year (information taken from
personal property tax lists):

(p.72) Alexandria City.  HICKMAN, Jno. (over age 21) in household of
William HICKMAN.
(p.290) Fauquier County.  HICKMAN, John (over 21) in household of
Alexander BRUCE.
(p.1198) King William County.  HICKMAN, John (over 21), 24 slaves 16+,
22 slaves 12-16, 10 horses, 58 cattle, chair, stud horse, 4.0.0.
(p.82) Accomack County.  HICKMAN, John Jr. (over 21), 2 slaves 16+, 1
slave 12-16, 1 horse, 2 cattle, Mho.?
(p.82) Accomack County.  HICKMAN, John Sr. (over 21), 1 slave 16+, 3
horses, 11 cattle, two wheeled carriage.

Sounds like your man should be one of those above.  If you track them
year by year on the tax lists, you should be able to tell which it is.

HICKMAN, John & Ann THOMPSON, marriage bond 2 June 1790, bondsman: Alex.
KEITH.  Marriage register (John Monroe/Monrie, Baptist minister) gives
marriage date as 1 July 1790.  [John K. Gott, Fauquier County Virginia
Marriage Bonds, 1759-1854 ... (Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1989), 95]

[Following are from John P. Alcock, Fauquier Families 1759-1799 (Athens,
Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1994), 169]

John HICKMAN appears on Fauquier County tax lists 1781-95, 1797-99
(northwest district).  Deed Book 8:96, 1780. Lees' 1765 lease assigned
him by William HILL of Shenandoah [County].  Minute Book 7:257, 1785.
Road surveyor replacing Robert PHILLIPS.  Deed Book 14:351, 1799. Voted.

John HICKMAN Jr. appears on Fauquier County tax list in 1787 (with
Alexander Bruce, northeast district) to 1790 (northwest district),
Minute book 8:512. Defendant.  Marriage bond 6/2/1790 to marry Ann
THOMPSON; bondsman Alexander KEITH.

John HICKMAN appears in Fauquier County tax list 1793 in household of
John HICKMAN.
Jonathan HICKMAN appears in Fauquier County tax list 1794 in household
of John HICKMAN.

It looks like the John HICKMAN (Jr.) shown above is a good candidate to
be the man who moved to Greenbrier County.  No one named John HICKMAN
lived in Fauquier County in 1800 [The Virginia Genealogist, vol. 20-21,
abstracting the 1800 personal property tax list].

Nancy is of course a nickname for Ann, and the marriage date looks close
to what you are looking for.  Hope this helps.

Donald L. Wilson, Virginiana Librarian,
Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center
  for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC),
Prince William Public Library System,
Bull Run Regional Library,
8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA  20110-2892
703-792-4540   www.pwcgov.org/library/relic