VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:19:21 -0500
You have the catchwords targeted:  "...on a reasonable basis...." So, you come to my land, ask permission, I say, "Nope, your basis for entering is not reasonable, and even if it might be you have not established to MY - MY - satisfaction that you are a descendent, so stay out, or sue me."

Thus it is that whatever "rights" you may have are surely diluted to the point that requires an appearance in a courtroom to prove you should be let in; hardly worth the trouble, it would seem.  AND, what's more, you may lose in that courtroom !!!!

My advice? Take the landowner a Bible, a box of candy, or a bottle of Jack Daniels.  Any or all of those might gain the permission you need.

Genealogy without documentation is nothing.
                     Paul Drake JD
                Genealogist & Author
            <www.DrakesBooks.com>