VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 12:54:06 -0500
To ALL:  I have rec'd this letter from a fine Lady and researcher
who is now all but blind.  She - and all of us - would appreciate
your comments, since many of us may face this very problem as the
years pile up on us.

PLEASE DO NOT TELL HER TO DONATE THE MATERIALS TO A LIBRARY; SHE
ALREADY KNOWS THAT IS A POSSIBILITY.  What she needs to know is
WHICH large libraries might have vertical file capacity to have use
for such a mass of materials and would preserve the same for the
future.  Her research is in large measure in New England, MD, and
nearby states. What ideas have you about a depository for her fine
and extensive work????  Thanks, for myself and this nice lady.  Paul

Hi Paul,
 I have been researching and fussing over my genealogy for some 30
years and now I think I am going to get rid of it all.  Any ideas as
to how to do this?  I know..trash basket!!!
 I can no longer see to  record any of my notes and compile the
closets of info I have collected.  Learned one thing from this going
blind though... don't put off doing anything that has to do with
seeing!!  Anyway, every time I realize that those files of notes are
just sitting there, it frustrates me something awful.  Makes me feel
sad and depressed AND stupid for not keeping things up to date.  My
son and  daughter are the last of my....and neither is interested in
any further research....I do hate to just chuck it all.  Have you
any ideas ?  There is already a marvelous book on my....family that
goes from the 1600s down to me, so that takes care of that bunch,
but my maternal line is the unknown family....That family can NEVER
be figured out as they married cousins right and left.  But as much
fun as all this has been and the wonderful hobby it has been, it is
only frustration to me now that I can no longer do this.
Anyway...what do people do with all the stuff they have collected
and recorded?  Maybe I should put it in a metal box and bury it !  I
really am serious. That is a lot of work to just throw away when
there may be somebody somewhere who could use some of it.
Appreciate any ideas you may have.    C...