VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2009

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:39:48 EST
Hello, fellow researchers ! Just to report from my trip to Halifax
courthouse ........

    According to folks at the courthouse there is,  unfortunately, VERY
LITTLE in the way of records pertaining  to guardianships and adoptions for the
time period around 1880.
    Using a major clue -- from the 1880 Census record  -- that "Malinda
McCormic" (age "50") was living in the home of John W. Spencer,  as his cousin,
at the same time that "William P. Spencer" (age "8"), of  whom John would
be the guardian, I looked for any marriages between a "Malinda"  and a
"McCormick" and found nothing.
    However, there was a marriage (Dec  1871) between a "William Russell,
Jr." and a "Malinda Henderson." John  Spencer's mother was a Henderson.

    Hence, the mystery continues. But there's LIGHT at  the end of the
tunnel !

Thanks to ALL of you folks for ALL of your kind help !
Have a grateful Thanksgiving,
    Carole D. Bryant