VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Kathryn Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:57:52 -0400
Below my message is a plea from someone on the Norfolk (VA) List.  After I responded I thought I should send it to all of you, but for two purposes.  Her plea of course, but also mine.  For those of you in or familiar with Richmond, would you know of auction houses there?  I am told that the goods will go on the block Mothers' Day weekend.  I do not know what day or any times but sure would like to know where to search.  Yes, there were extraordinary antique pieces in my aunt's house (which without my 84 year old mother with me would be nothing more than furniture of value), which will be auctioned but I am more interested in the fin de siecle (19th century) family photographs that I remember covering the walls, as well as letters etc that were in the attic (an area my cousin was unable to even get into).  This would be the REED, COFER, DAVIS, EVANS families of Norfolk.

But my uncle was an ENOS of the Wakefield area.  He was in the Duke Class of 1925, so I can only imagine what was remaining from there.  I do not know the other surnames in his family but they originated in central NC.

Any thoughts from anyone?  I will walk to Richmond Mothers' Day weekend if I have to, but I need to know when!

Katie Holland
Silver Spring, MD