VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:31:37 -0500
Kathy that is awful ! The records need to be treated with respect. Placing any document on the floor is totally unacceptable in any circumstance. I am tall and have the reach to easily take pictures using the tables that the various courthouses provide for their viewing. In the case of a large ledger an entire page will not fit into one shot and it's necessary to take several overlapping shots to get the entire record. Same thing if the record continues onto the next page. Overlapping shots can then be later printed out, cut, pasted and rescanned for personal records.

Personally I've never met nor witnessed anybody abusing documents in any courthouse and I would not stand by quietly if I did. I know that libraries will remove patrons that do not abide by the rules. Can't courthouses do the same? I would hope that the woman who placed the deed books all over the floor to get the "good shot" was at the very least removed. Better yet would be banned from returning. Isn't destruction or defacement of government property a crime?

Tom, I read your post also and agree totally, other adjectives that come to mind are ignorant and uncivilized. I hope you informed them the age of the book they were tearing through and that it didn't deserve the same treatment as their personal Sunday paper. These records belong to all of us and it's not just the Clerk's job to protect them. The uncivilized will be unrepentant. Those are the ones who need the book thrown at them, as in the book of law (not the record book). There is hope for the ignorant though, through education. Perhaps this person tearing through the 200 year old book was under the mistaken impression that it was a copy and not the original. Pointing out the truth to someone like this could be beneficial, unless they are just totally stupid...that can't be fixed either. BTW Tom, I greatly enjoyed your Eastern Shore link.

Steve, I would hope that the "Historical Society redoing a book or two" is just for the sake of normal wear and tear, not because of abuse.

Mickey, your good nature has really been abused, but please don't judge all by the actions of a few. I am part of the "new group" that you mentioned as I'm young enough to have always known copiers and I've only been doing research since 2005. Had you sent me 30 years worth of research, I could not imagine not sending you a thank you note along with $5 postage reimbursement. As for not giving credit where it is due, I equate that to stealing. Shame on them.

Working together let's Revive Reverence & Respect for our Records.
Sincerely, Vicki Ford

  Many Clerk's offices and courthouses have banned cameras because in some cases users have abused the privilege and the documents.  I personally witnessed a woman open deed books all over the floor, getting in everyone's way, trying to get a "good shot."  Here in Charlotte County you need advance permission from the Clerk and it is rarely given.

  And while I'm at it, may I remind people (and you know who you are) that PENCILS are the only acceptable writing implement in an archive, don't EVER tap on the pages with the point, and only open the books on a flat surface big enough to hold the entire open book.  (Sorry for the rant but it was a long day at the clerk's office today --- lots of people who should never be allowed near an original document.)

  Kathy