VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2010

From:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:20:42 -0600
If a man was married and his wife did not release her dower rights,
then the conveyance could be challenged in court at some future time,
i.e., the conveyance did not come with "clear title."  Nevertheless,
some deeds were executed without such a dower release and were never
challenged (this usually, I think, occurred when the sale was between
family members).

Sometimes the dower release was included with the deed.  As often as
not, I've found, and this depends upon the location and the practices
of the local officials, the dower release was separately recorded in
the County Court minutes.  And I can point you to several deeds that
were made in the early 1800s in Halifax County, Virginia, where the
dower rights release was not obtained until 10-12 years after the date
of the deed.

Bottom line, if dower rights were involved in a sale, it's highly
likely that the release was recorded somewhere.  But the where and
when of that recording can often be a challenge to find, if they can
be found at all.

Lou Poole